Monday, August 1, 2011

other recent knits!

I promised I'd be back!

Here's what else I've been up to, knitting-wise ...

I knit yet another Sockhead Hat (a third!) -- this one for my college BFF's birthday:

FO: Koigu Sockhead hat

A confession: This was going to be for me. It is Koigu, and dammit, I deserve something knit from the only Koigu in my stash. But then I was daydreaming, and I thought, "BOY, J would love this." And once I visualize a possible recipient in the knitted object, I just can't get it out of my head, and it must go to that person. The timing worked great, because her birthday was within a few months!

Next up is a hat for a friend's birthday ...

FO: Colleen's hat

This is a modified Sockhead Hat (no slouch) knit from Neighborhood Fiber Co. Studio Sock (about half a skein) in Edgewood (a beautiful forest green). The recipient is from Seattle so I knew she'd love the lush green-y-ness of the yarn!

Finally is the hat I am most proud of.

But first, a little backstory.

I knit a hat for this recipient over a year ago, before he was born. His mama and papa put it on him + he wore it OUT. (This pleases me greatly.) And now it's too small for him.

I had a crazy vision of a colorwork hat that included whales (I know ... I'm crazy, right?) and knew what his gift for his first birthday would be. A little browsing on Ravelry landed me a chart.

Behold:

FO: Abbott's Whale Hat

I'm so so happy with it. It's retro and bold and fun and perfect for the wee one! It's actually a little big on him, so he should be able to wear it for a year or two. Details about the yarn are on my Rav page.

Finally, here is a sweater for a friend who is due with a baby in a few weeks. The father-to-be is a hip dude and I wanted to knit their wee one a grandpa sweater just like his or her papa!

Baby Evans' sweater

The pattern is the Scrappy Socky Stripey Cardi -- an excellent pattern for using up bits of sock yarn. (I really want to knit another one ...) I used Madeline Tosh sock in Golden Hickory and Hazel Knits Artisan Sock in Jay Blue.

Baby Evans' sweater, buttons

The buttons came from The Yarn Lounge in Richmond.

I am in love with this sweater + will definitely make more for other babies in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment