Sunday, March 22, 2009

half marathon no. 3? check

so happy to be done with 13.1 miles!

I've been a bad blogger, I know, but my half marathon is finally over (till the next one in six weeks!) and maybe things will eventually calm down around here. This one was my slowest yet (chip time - 3:30:05) but I'm totally fine with it. I don't care, really. This was the first half marathon where I felt like OK, I know the distance, and I can do this. It was a great feeling. I kept a strong pace for the first eight miles, and, um, not so much after that. But I felt good (if really sore) when I finished - as the above picture shows. I have to give virtual props to my brother and boyfriend for waking up at 5 a.m., walking 20 blocks to the start, and coming back to see me finish!

Two years ago when I finished the race, I thought it was the hardest thing I've ever done (and yet it was my PR. Go figure.). How did I just run 13 miles?? The training and race took so much out of me - and I think I didn't fully enjoy it - that I stopped running for the entire summer. The same thing happened last year, but I got back to running a bit sooner.

This time, though, I know that's not going to happen (and it's not just because I have another half on May 2). This race, while hard after mile 8, felt relatively easy. I knew what I was getting myself into. But more importantly, and more than ever, I've realized how much I need running in my life over the past year. I have a great support system with my family and boyfriend, but really, running is the best outlet for all of my worries right now. As everyone knows, the economy is in the crapper, and the newspaper industry isn't so great either. I'm a worrier by nature, and I really count on running to help me work things out and stay sane.

So here's to many more successful runs!

No comments:

Post a Comment