Friday, August 21, 2009

rainbow-y love

FO: Trekking socks

Hooray, new socks! These are knit in Trekking 100 -- 2x2 rib over 72 stitches on US 2 needles. These are definitely my new favorites. The yarn seems like it will wear well, it was quite pleasant to knit with, and boy did I love seeing the colors knit up.

FO: Trekking socks

My only regret is that I didn't make them a little taller. I had 23g of yarn left when I was done! I weigh the yarn laboriously, but I clearly need to get bolder in my predictions of how much the foot will take.

Since I last blogged, I started another Simple Yet Effective shawl:
WIP: Simple Yet Effective Shawl no. 2

It's yarn I got at MDS&W last year - fingering weight blend of alpaca, merino and bamboo. It's super, super, soft, and I'm knitting it on US 8 needles, so it should be lacy and airy when it's all done. When I bought it, I thought it was blue, but the more I look at it, it appears to be grayish blue. It's hard to capture in a photo!

I have had some knitting Drama-with-a-capital-D lately. I'm working on my Ishbel, and I'm very quickly running out of yarn. I weigh the yarn at the end of every row, but it becomes clear that I'm going to run out of yarn with about a row or two left. I turn to the magic of Ravelry, and someone who's knit socks in the same yarn is going to send me her scraps. Whew -- crisis averted.

This drama was supplanted by this, however -- I'm buzzing along on the shawl, I've got about four rows left, and my Knit Picks cable falls out of the join (where it meets the metal part that screws into the interchangeable needle bit). This was the damage:

Eff you, Knit Picks.

About 50 stitches popped off the needles. GRR ARGH. I had to frog it back to a lifeline about four rows back -- erasing a few hours' work. Now, it's back on the needles (a new cable, of course), I have nine rows left and I've set it in time-out because I'm angry at it. (Though today, since I'm off work, I'm probably going to try to get back to where I was before the needle broke.

Oh! I gave the Baby Surprise Jacket to my pals who are expecting a baby next month. I think they really liked it.

Angie and Luis

I can't wait to meet their little one!

No comments:

Post a Comment