Sunday, November 30, 2008

I'm back!

Wow that was a whirlwind trip. I wish I could magically transfer the handwritten letter to my brother in the blog post, but that's not technically possible, so I'll do my best to sum it up here before I dash out the door to work in 20 minutes.

I didn't take many pictures, so this post will be lacking in them. The trip was lovely. A quick drive up after four hours of crappy sleep, good food, football on my aunt and uncle's new big-screen HDTV, and two phone calls from my brother! They were given phone privileges for the holiday. He sent us a hilarious picture message, too, of him in his Army-issued glasses. (Here's a good look at them if you don't know what they look like.) We watched some of my pap's old slides, which we had converted to DVDs, too. It was a lovely Thanksgiving.

I spent Friday running around with my parents - meeting my dad's cousin for breakfast, shopping in the Strip District (where I bought yummy romano cheese, Jordan almonds, an "I'm a Polish Steelers fan" shirt for my brother, and an awesome $3 hat with black and gold flames, for running). My parents got a lot of food to take home with them - I'm generally not a fan of sausage but this place smelled amaaaaaazing. My parents generously offered to buy me a new winter coat, so we went to a mall (and it wasn't *too* crazy by Friday afternoon) and I got a really nice one at Sears. It's kind of black/grey checked and has a hood. It's really cute. Thanks, Mom and Dad!

We went to the yarn store next - I had been really psyched for this because last year was such a great visit. Well, they've moved locations and I think the old house must've been a lot of the charm for me. Also, I think the selection wasn't as good as last year. Maybe it was picked over for the sale? I bought three things - two skeins of Malabrigo Worsted in Pollen, a beautiful pale yellow that looks like butter (see this Rav link or this link - and scroll down - for the color). I've already started a garter stitch scarf but seeing that gorgeous scarf, I might have to frog it and make something lacy! I also got a skein of Dream in Color Classy in Blue Lagoon for a cowl for myself and Dream in Color Baby in Visual Purple for some kind of lace project. They're stunning. Pictures will come eventually; it's a rainy day.

My parents and I met up with family friends for dinner - where I ran into my favorite teacher from high school, which was odd, because she didn't remember me and seemed kind of out of it, so it was sad. I think my dinner made me a little nauseated. I had pumpkin squash soup, which was great, but my pasta sauce tasted a little off to me. It was rather bland, too. Blah.

After breakfast Saturday with my Granddad, I made the long trip home. Traffic was heavy around D.C., so I stopped at Chipotle for a salad (my new favorite dish there. I'm never eating one of those burritos AGAIN!) at Tyson's Corner Center, a huge mall. It was kind of crazy.

Here I am after I got a space:

151/365: pure win!

All in all, the weekend was a success and I can't wait to see my family in four weeks. Now I've got to knit like a maniac - I've got three mittens and a hat to make before my trip (not to mention a cowl for a co-worker) ... yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment