Thursday, December 31, 2009

Christmas knitting recap

Whew. Now that all the gifts are opened and received, I can blog about them!

I knit three pairs of socks for Christmas - one for my brother, one for my mom, one for my dad. First up was my mom's pair. I knit these in the summertime.

FO: Mom's Christmas socks

(Rav details)

The yarn is Knit Picks Swish DK. (In fact, all the yarn for the socks is Swish DK.) I will always associate these socks with my Granddad, because I knit on them while hanging out in his hospital room this summer. I knit away on them while watching "Patton" and Westerns while he snoozed.

My mom really loves them - she posted a picture on Flickr this morning saying she wore them and said two things: 1. "These feel amazing!" 2. "I need to learn how to make these!" She is quickly growing bored with knitting scarves so I bet socks are soon on the horizon. :-)

FO: Josh's Christmas socks

(Rav details)

These were my brother's socks.

And these are my dad's socks:

FO: Dad's Christmas socks

(Rav details)

Please ignore the fact that one of my dad's socks is inside-out!

They each have size 13 feet, so DK socks were a great way to make the socks in no time flat.

Next up - hat and mittens for my brother's girlfriend, Megan.

FO: Megan's hat and mittens

I won't bother with the Rav link since they're just a basic ribbed hat and mittens with a 1x1 cuff and thumb gusset. I winged it and they turned out pretty nice, if I may say so myself. I bought the yarn for this (BMFA Icelandic) in Cannon Beach, Oregon. Hooray for using vacation yarn! It was about $30 for the skein, but I got the hat, two mittens and I'm going to get another hat out of what's left (for me!). So a good value, all in all. And the colors are lovely.

I'll be back later today or tomorrow with another FO post. I got a little carried away with my previous "end of 2009" wrap-up. I finished something after I posted that. Whoops!

1 comment: