Friday, February 26, 2010

My (unofficial) Knitting Olympics project is done!

It's true; I have finished my first toe-up socks. Just typing those words made it sink in, I think. I can't believe it!

FO: First toe-up socks

Yarn: Dream in Color Smooshy, Pansy Go Lightly
Pattern: Dead Simple Lace Socks by Wendy Johnson
US 2 needles
Time to knit: About five months (with at least two months' break in the middle, for Christmas knitting)
Rav details

Learning toe-up came about rather spur-of-the-moment, as I blogged about in September. And I'm so glad I took that class with my buddies Tasha and Hazel!

As you can see, these are almost too tall for the sock blockers. And I had 19 grams of yarn leftover! I'm glad I ended the socks where I did, because within an inch they would've needed calf shaping.

detail of the pattern

I loved working with the Smooshy - so much subtle color variation! - but was bummed when it broke once, on the sole of the second sock. (I also hold my yarn with a death grip, so I am partially to blame.) Despite the name of the yarn, Smooshy, I found it to be a thinner sock yarn.

FO: First toe-up socks

I currently have no socks on the needles (well, apart from a hibernating, soul-socking, Regia Tweed 80-stitches-a-round stockinette one) but for now, I'm going to focus on a shawlette I've been working on for a few weeks when stockinette was all I felt like doing. It's the In the Land of Oz shawlette, and I just found out a friend is facing some rough times, so I feel like this would be a nice, woolly hug for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment